Re: is there a way to help us for learning linguistic?

enes wrote:

hi,
Well, I love linguistics. Got introduced to it also when studying english language teaching. I like it so much I will be changing my major, and starting grad school in the subject.
Firstly, I find it odd that your program only lets you take the manditory linguistics courses in your fourth term, whereas  we started it in our second term.
I will address specific subfields in detail.
Firstly, for phonology, I have not found any way to read, or transcribe the symbols, in an accessible form. NVDA will mispronounce all the symbols. My best bet would've been to have them in braille, and memorize them that way, but unfortunatly this was not possible. Due to this, I was exempted from transcribing the actual symbols, while identifying the subclasses, and properties of the sounds by audio files in the exam. This is likely what you will need to do, as I also think you might have access issues with acquiring braille.
For morphology, most of it is learnable by lecture, and by book. There isn't anything visual about morphology. You should understand the morphemes, and there types.
For syntax, I could not see the trees, but visualized the hierarchy of the nodes. Remember that the trees are only a visual representation of the syntactic structures. Though if you cannot find a tool to draw the trees, this is the part of linguistics you might have the most difficulty with. Understand the structure of trees in your mind, and have your instructors explain confusing parts to you in private if possible.
For semantics, you will not have any trouble with this. Most of semantics is related to meaning, and will be similar to the concepts in your mind. You will need to read the books and know the theories.
Let me know if you want to know more.

hi Enes,
yeah, the curriculum of english study program here in my campus is different than others, I found out that most people from other campus learning linguistic since their second or even first term where as me, well. I just get the introduction of linguistic in this semester, a long with phonetic and phonology. maybe I'll get the other stuff in my 5th or 6th, it seems.
awesome! where can I get the audio of pronounciation of those symbol?
sure, I will gladly discuss more about it with you! can we discuss in skype or teamtalk, or any other platform?