Re: Creating an audio game using Sable, by Ebon Sky Studios

Hi Everyone,

Just want to say it’s been fantastic to see how enthusiastic everyone is about the project, so a huge thanks to everyone who has commented or watched the video. Hopefully as the video series is released it will not only show how Sable works but also answer many questions people have about  Sable and what it is capable of. Below as ever I will try and answer some of the questions which have come up:
-@number 21, yes we do intend to eventually sell the development tools,  so you’ll be able to build your own games with it, but at the moment our primary focus is on our first two games, which will show what can be achieved using sable and also let us hone the engine at the same time.
-@number 22, thanks for all the questions, I’ll try and answer as many as possible below:
-Sable does already have event triggers, again these will be shown in more detail in a later video, but there’s lots of things these can do from setting and firing cut scenes, initiating special encounters/battles, completing tasks, giving key items and much more. This is also an area we are constantly adding to as we all feel event triggers can play a big part in making each game feel unique.
- as for security I can’t really go into this, but rest assured we are aware of the importance of security  and when sable is eventually released there will be documentation regarding this
.- at present no sable does not support multiplayer games  and there is no code in there which would allow you to add driving into your game
-regarding achievements and controller support , although these are not currently in sable they are things we are currently discussing.
-sounds are obviously a key factor in producing a high quality audio game, we are currently using various techniques to simulate different sounds and are working closely with our sound engineer so we can provide the best audio experience. As to what controls the end user will have, again remember this is a prototype so things could change , but we want to offer as much choice as we can, for example at present sable offers  differing radar systems which the player can use  as we all have different likes and dislikes as to what works well with sounds and how much information we are given.
-@number 23,thanks for subscribing to the utube channel and we're really pleased you enjoyed the video. With stairs you could either change the sound for moving between levels of the building, or you could create a middle level, fill it with step sounds for  the floor and then add some walls to create a spiral staircase feel  which would take you from the bottom floor to the top floor. This is one way I could think of  achieving what you are after.
-finally I’ve changed the  subject line to hopefully better reflect the topic and some of the questions which have come up.

I hope the above answers everyone’s questions, I’ll apologize in advance if any of my answers sound a little vague, but as stated previously please remember Sable is in its prototype stage , so there are some things we can’t confirm at this stage, as there will be additions, changes, new concepts and mechanics  being added with each update of our development tools.

The Ebon Sky Studios Team