Re: why bgt dont continus

From an outsider's perspective, it seems like everyone is saying BGT is terrible even though it's simple to use and still produce good games when used as it's meant to be used, by an actually experienced coder.
These people  always strongly urge others to just switch already, then turns around and bitches in the same breath about all the problems they are running into with out of date/overly complicated/feature poor libraries and closed source or unstable and hard to find rappers and highly resource intensive/highly technical to set up IDES and shit, especially when it comes to cross platform which is one of the many advantages usually given.
At least some of those people are actually trying to do something about it as well by providing resources and working on rappers, but it's still pretty iffy as compared to BGT.

I understand that many see it as a necessary evil and a growing pain that must be overcome if we want more complex titles and better coders, but if the reason you got into audio game development was always meant to be as a hobby and you only ever wanted to make simpler titles a la Super Deekout, Villains from beyond, Marina Breakout and the like in the first place, than why should this apply to you?
Yes, it'd be nice if they were, but not everyone is the next Dan Z or Liam Ervin or Phillip Bennefall or wants to be, and most of the people pushing for this haven't made anything of note them selves after upgrading either.
It's been said many times before but I guess it needs to be restated. It's not BGT's fault that all those clones happened, and most users are still computer literate enough to exclude their games from the grasping clutches of Windows Defender.

Do I think it's a bad idea to lock your self into a limited language even when it has some great convenience features? Yeah I do, but only if you had the ambition and knowledge to need something better anyway. And from what I've witnessed that particular Ven diagram has basically no overlap.
It's also pretty hypocritical that we're totally cool with certain developers using BGT for their games and not others. Just because a person happens to be a crap coder, it doesn't mean they are suddenly going to improve just because they've gone more mainstream and have more resources.
be focusing on audio games anyway? No, it takes a certain kind of attitude and work ethic that most don't have until their older if at all, when they start thinking of this more professionally. And the choice of language is only a tiny part of it IMO, especially when you consider how popular PBGames's titles were and that was using old _javascript_.
See Sam, Mason, Steevo, phantom, and Gortholon for varying levels of this change in action.
Young Phillip Bennefall, Munawar Bajani, Liam Ervin, and Yukio Nazawa had plenty of failures too I'm sure, they just had the foresight to keep them quiet, where as now people seem more comfortable sharing unfinished stuff and we also seem to have a higher expectation of quality as compared to the Treasure Hunt or Tarzan Junior days.

I guess I just don't think it's such a simple issue that it can be boiled down to,

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : mahdi-abedi via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : mahdi-abedi via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : mahdi-abedi via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Hijacker via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : pranam via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : mahdi-abedi via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Lucas1853 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : visualstudio via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : visualstudio via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : mahdi-abedi via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector