Re: sighted verses blindness mindset

I can't speak from the perspective of someone who lost vision after having it. I was born premature and am totally blind. There comes a point when you have to decide if you're going to let that fact prevent you from doing anything or if you're willing to say "Well, this is the way it's going to be, and I might as well do something positive". That's what I have done. I haven't let blindness stop me from enjoying computers, books or talking to people about all kinds of things.

I imagine suddenly going blind would make one realize just how many things most people take for granted. I can't say for sure, but this seems to be the case. In my mind, be grateful that you're still alive and that it wasn't much worse. Blindness is purely an information and attitude barrier. Instead of wasting time wishing you had your vision back, let's work on making the world more accessible for those that don't have it. The truth is that anyone can lose vision at any time for any reason. For some reason beyond our understanding, eye tissue doesn't mend itself unlike 99% of the rest of the human body.

People who go on and on about getting their vision back or hoping God will magically heal them are living in a fantasy world. As far as we know, magic doesn't exist and never will. That's why I read so many fantasy books. They let me mind wander and I get the chance to go on all sorts of fantastic adventures that simply aren't possible in the relatively boring world we live in. Until God shows himself/herself/itself and incredible powers, I don't believe any of it and have to accept that I have to deal with the cards I've been delt.