Re: Unpopular Opinion: Audio Game Community Edition

@#1, Very well-written post.  I agree with what you wrote.  I have some thoughts and questions that I've been mulling over for a while now, looking for clear answers.  My thoughts are not aimed at any one developer here.  Nor is any disrespect or offense intended.  I have to wonder whether most of the developers that tend to work in this community are less sturdy or hearty, if you will, than mainstream developers, if that makes sense.  What I mean is this.  How many times have we seen games started, but never completed?  How many times have we seen developers pump up the hype for a game they're going to release, only then to either never release it, or abandon it so shortly after release that it never becomes the game it should have been?  We've even had developers who just disappear with no warning to their customers, even when the customers are paying ones.  Is that because of the community at large, or does it simply represent the caliber of emotional and intellectual stability of the developers that tend to work in this community?  It seems as though developers in this community, whether blind or sighted, tend to have less sticking power than those in the mainstream world.  It seems to me that projects are very easily given up on at the drop of a hat.  I've seen developers pop up, stay for two or three months, then poof, never to be heard from again.  And why is it that developers in this community have such a deadset, unshakable, immutable mentality against working with one another for the most part?  It's been done a handful of times, sure.  And you know what?  Projects made when teamwork occurs tend to be pleasing ones.  Yet, for some reason that is an anathema to me, most developers in this community absolutely insist on flying solo.  Why?  With the proliferation of file sharing and telecommunication tools there is absolutely no reason that you couldn't work together, even if you live in different continents.  And teamwork lessens the load on everyone.  The single developer no longer is bogged down with enormous pressure of being the only one trying to handle everything.  Less pressure equals more enthusiasm and less chance of burnout, right?  Is it that blind people just find it harder to work in groups?  Are we so socially stunted because of our lack of sight that it makes it a massive hardship?  Are we just terrified of interaction?  On the rare occasions that people have worked together to create things, they've actually turned out to be decent.  Doesn't that help to show other devs that teamwork can be useful?  I just don't get why everyone wants to be so isolated.  Maybe it simply boils down to not wanting to share the credit, but if that's the case, then I posit that we've got our priorities out of order.  I'd much rather share the credit with others and create a game that will last and be enjoyed by all, rather than worry about getting all the glory and end up creating something half as good as it could have been.  It just saddens me to see that we have such talent in terms of intellect in this community, but for some reason it seems to rarely be used to its fullest potential.  Something gets in the way.  If we ever figure out what that something is, and actually take steps to surpass it, we might actually turn a corner and flourish like never before.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : MasterOfDeath via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : The Dwarfer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : The Dwarfer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : The Dwarfer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : The Dwarfer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : JLove via Audiogames-reflector