Pyinstaller not listening to me, help!

So, my pyinstaller is dead set on creating exes for some reason.
If I try and compile a program that uses cython scripts, the thing goes nuts. Typing the following yields the same result, that is, an exe which does not show tracebacks unless I redirect the stderr.
1: pyinstaller start.spec #Should create a directory with a bunch of files in it with the start exe. In actuality, it creates an exe, which it shouldn't do. Furthermore, that exe behaves as if I typed --windowed, which I didn't.
2: pyinstaller start.spec --onefile #Produces an exe with the inability of seeing the tracebacks when in reality I should see them because I didn't type --windowed.
So, help? I really miss my --onefile and seeing tracebacks...
Here's what I've tried.
1: Reinstalling pyinstaller. Didn't help.
2: Checking and upgrading to the latest version of everything by using pip-review --interactive and then typing in A, didn't help either.
So, tips? Suggestions? Help me get pyinstaller back under control again, LOL.