Re: Why should I be interested just because its popular?

There has always been "popular opinion" about anything, but at least in the past adds etc would try to at least justify said popular opinion with either reference to quotations, or by displaying qualities which people might like, look at how many film trailers used to say "critically aclaimed" or ""an inspiring tale of adventure" or something like that.

Yet, even the advertisements these days use "popular" as though it is a complementary term without daring to suggest that the thing being advertised might actually have any qualities that make it popular.

With reviews as I said, the situation is pretty much as bad, indeed Cooltirk is absolutely right about people writing reviews just because they were given a free copy of the book, free film tickets  or the like.

The  rare occasions you see critical comments these days, at least with books, are usually with reference to one Sjw issue or other, IE a book has a tough female character or  ratially diverse cast or a gay romance or something, irispective of whether these elements are actually well or badly written.

Similarly, the few times I do find negative comments, they're usually related to said sjw axes, rather than related to whether the book is actually any good or not in terms of writing, plot, characters, pacing and generally the stuff that makes a book good.

Again, this isn't to say I'm an ultimate authority on good books and so on, I'm quite happy to disagree with people, but yee gods, what has happened to people's faculty of critical thinking!