Re: Our official stance on Copyright as it Pertains to game assets

@7:

1. BGT is often blamed for data breaches, while people forget that it is still the only language that provides a very easy environment for those who are starting out. All the essential tutorials, libraries and numerous examples are provided in the package, specifically designed for audio game creation. It is certainly not ideal if you want to do general programming, but it is not meant to fulfill this purpose. The way BGT stores its code is the way 99% of all interpreters work, including some incredibly popular languages, such as Lua.
The reason why BGT's encryption can be broken is because it is completely unprotected, just like Python, or Cython, C, and other languages.

This is not true whatsoever. There is a difference between what BGT does when it stores code and what Lua and Python do. With Lua and Python, you have tools such as luac that compile your code to native code. Most interpreted languages have this. BGT is a major exception, primarily because all the offsets for everything is fixed. Once you know the offset for string_decrypt, you always know the offset for string_decrypt. C, on the other hand, is not so easy: C compiles directly to machine code. I cannot just take a C program and pull the decryption keys out of it (because I don't know what is what). . It would require many hours (days, possibly even months to years) for me to figure it out. This is not the case with BGT at all. As a suggestion, please go read up a topic called name mangling.
Furthermore, C, Python, Lua, etc., have a unique quality that BGT does not: you only know the function names for the standard libraries they bundle in. You don't know where the decryption logic is. With BGT, I know the decryption function is always at a particular memory offset, therefore I can easily break your code. While BGT provides a lot of things that Python does not for audio game development in particular, it causes vendor lock-in, and its much better if you go with a mainstream programming language than one that is no longer maintained and raises AV flags everywhere. Do you really want your potential user base dealing with that?

2. Modern cryptography is a science that heavily relies on math. You will need a lot more than a few books to learn it. Educating yourself will take you only so far. Knowing how to use a library or two is like having musical phrase libraries that play chords for you, it does not mean that you know how to play the instrument, nor know how to use it effectively. Little knowledge is worse than no knowledge, as they say.

This is only for the underlying theories and processes of making your own cryptographic algorithms. You do not need to know a huge amount of math to use a cryptographic library safely. Never mess with underlying cryptographic primitives without knowing what yoru doing -- it is a very good way to break yourself. However, as someone who isn't a wiz at math, I can tell you that I use cryptographic libraries (OpenSSL, Monocypher, etc.) safely without knowing any of the underlying extreme theory.

3. If you know how to freeze an interpreter, you also know how to access Cython memory areas and hook into someone's code, enough to break most of what's out there.
While I appreciate your advice and sharing your personal opinion, I think there are a lot of things that we cannot expect from someone who's just starting out. Their language choice is likely to be influenced by ease of use and the availability of resources. The majority of them will certainly not spend days or more on going through books that deal with cryptography, just to protect their assets. To be honest, if I started out right now, while being 12 or so, I would be very discouraged, to say the least.

This is far more of your opinion than mine. Most of it is myth, or misinterpreted. You either misinterpreted what I wrote deliberately or ignorantly, I don't really know; however, please go read up on the subjects I raise in regards to programming before you come to me and say that what I am doing is wrong. o, you cannot break Cython hooks and memory areas. A cythonized Python program with a single line is over 5000 lines in C. Add over 600 lines of game logic and Cython code is about 12 times that. I significantly doubt anyone could break Cyton code without extreme effort, and no blind person is going to spend that much effort in break an audio game just to get the sounds. My advice, for that is what it was in six, was entirely correct.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Liam via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Jayde via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Liam via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Ethin via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Ethin via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Liam via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Ethin via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : robjoy via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Ethin via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Ethin via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Ethin via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : cmerry via Audiogames-reflector