Re: Books by Stephen King

I think  Jayde a lot of my issues with Gerald's game came from the epilogue, since had the book finished not long after Jessie's escape I  certainly would've just taken Jessie's comments in character and understandably a product of her history and circumstances,
but it was the fact that the closest thing the book has to a nice male character is still condescending and dismissive of women generally, and Jessie in particular  that seemed a bit much. Then again maybe this is an accurate portrait of rich lawyers from main, I'm honestly not sure, still again that was another reason for me the book went on a bit too long and why I preferd Rose Madder in terms of King's dealing with themes of violence against women.

With Joubert. I'd have been quite happy were he just a mystery, indeed the explanation King had was just a bit too far, apart from being quite stat and rather hachnied, if not literally stereotyped, what with him being weird looking so he's eeeeevil! and homosexual so he's eeeeevil! and a man who was sexually abused as a child so he's eeeeevil!

Again, King was just shooting for the lowest possible targets here, apart from the fact the explanation seemed to take far longer than Joubert was actually in the book. Indeed, I sort of wonder if Joubert was a left over horror idea, since honestly his first appearence wouldn't have been out of place in midworld, then King suddenly realised that the book wasn't going to be a sueprnatural one and had to suddenly fudge an explanation.

anyway. For a lot of the epilogue I was just wanting things to wrap up so we could get the idea that Jessie was, if not actually alright, at least in a better place and on the road to recovery. We got there in the end, and I really liked the idea of Jessie reconnecting with Ruth in an effort to stop the nightmares , but it just felt waaaaay too long in coming, like when you finish on the roller coaster and  are just waiting to get off.

Ironically, even though misery is one of my least favourite King novels, this is one area where I thought it scored better than Gerald's game, since once we've had the climax with Anny, we see the mess Paul is left in, but at the last we get a bit of a ray of hope with him starting writing.

I've not read Dolores Claimborn, and I'll probably get to it at some point, though I suspect its going to be needful things next as that's another my lady would like to do, though I might have another go at one of King's short story collections as generally I've really enjoyed them,and I tend to like to read short story collections between needing to review books.

Actually just after Sunset has been mentioned in this topic by several people, and so possibly that's the King collection I'll do next, though I'm also tempted to try four past midnight.

I got the book years ago, read the langoleers, which had a premise I really liked and was interesting after watching the miniseries, albeit Dyna seemed to be a pretty blatant example of both the helpless and mystical blind person moulds (my lady really gets annoyed at Dyna), however just as I started the second story, the disk broke and the RNIB never sent me another copy, so I haven't read the other three stories in the collection.