Re: A Note About BSC Games On Windows 10

I agree, Jack. Well, I don't feel like installing the tweaker just for this purpose, although it might provide other nice tweaks as well, I know. I should probably give it a try. I'm just getting really frustrated with this already, and starting to lose motivation. In any case, my UAC is currently disabled (NVDA reads it as a slider set to 0) through the usual control panel right now.

Bryant, I uninstalled the games and reinstalled them to my Documents folder now, still no luck. Overall, I've already tried a completely different folder called Games, outside of Program Files or Documents, in other words outside of the system protected folders, then I tried the default installation to Program Files (x86), and finally to Documents as you suggested now. No difference at all.
When I try to open the games through 7Zip's file manager, I simply open that, i.e. the file manager, through its link in the Start menu, then I locate the respective game folder and executable, and press enter on that. I even tried the Open context menu item in the file manager but that apparently tries to read the file as raw data or something.

In all cases, no matter what I do or don't do, there is no perceivable response at all, it simply acts as though I haven't pressed enter on the program at all. Like I said, I tried opening the games as administrator and normally, from the elevated command prompt, through the file manager, with various compatibility settings for older Windows, anything, with or without the BSCfix package, and I have a very extensive set of old Visual Basic runtime libraries installed by now. :-D

The only thing the games do when trying to open them is that they create a text file called, for instance, pipe.exe-up.txt, that contains some kind of trace information in hexadecimal form or something. Right after that, they seem to crash immediately, as they are no longer visible in the task manager.
Of course, I have controlled folder access completely disabled in Windows Defender anyway, but just because it was really annoying and interfering with my workflow in general, not just because of the games, and I have even checked the executables with Windows Defender itself, getting no flags at all.

I'm really just about to give up, unless someone knows of a safe to use, virus free, already made talking Windows XP virtual machine.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, guys, though.
Lukas

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : lukas via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : bryant via Audiogames-reflector