Re: Lucia - OpenSource AudioGame engine written in Python

@84, you still have it wrong. Stop allowing cardinal directions to influence coordinates -- that is not how geometry works and even your local math teacher will agree with me on this point. Here's how it should work if the player is at the origin (0, 0, 0), for example:

  • If using a left-handed coordinate system:

    • Player moves forward from (0, 0, 0): coordinates are now (0, 0, -1) (Z coordinate decreases).

    • Player moves backwards from (0, 0, 0): coordinates are now (0, 0, 1) (Z coordinate increases).

  • If using a right-handed coordinate system (and, ironically, the one that is taught in educational institutions):

    • Player moves forward from (0, 0, 0): coordinates are now (0, 0, 1) (Z coordinate increases).

    • Player moves backwards from (0, 0, 0): coordinates are now (0, 0, -1) (Z coordinate decreases).

  • If player side-stepped, X coordinate would increase (they went to the right) or decrease (they went to the left); the Z coordinate is irrelevant and remains unmodified. Same for moving up and down: Y coordinate is changed; X and Z are unmodified.

You can change how this is displayed in the user interface if you so choose, but this is how it is done in code and how it is done in mathematics.
This is why you only allow multiple coordinate system handedness when your ready to do some heavy modifications -- you run into issues like this where you have extreme difficulty converting between the two because everyone is taught the right-handed coordinate system and not the left-handed coordinate system, so they are used to the right-handed one but the left-handed one makes no sense to them. Its quite sad that even colleges don't teach this; my college algebra teacher is working on getting her degree in mathematics and she didn't know that there even was a left-handed system.
The way I get this to make sense is to imagine that there is this invisible barrier or table in front of me with a graph overlaying it. We all know how a graph works by now, or I hope you all do: X is horizontal, Y is vertical. The Z axis is... what? Forwards and backwards. 3D graphs aren't taught for quite a while in college, if I'm not mistaken, so you'll only be taught this stuff in your senior year (I think). It could be different depending on the college your going too (if you are at all).
Back to my point: this helps with the right-handed system: If we make a line going strait forwards from ourselves, or try to move through the barrier (and we magically succeed) ,our Z axis will increase; likewise, it will decrease if we move away from the wall.
The left-handed system is a bit different. Take the barrier and turn away from it or imagine it behind you. When you back into the wall, the semantics are similar: your moving "backwards" from your point-of-view now, but your Z axis is still increasing (remember, a graph does not change its semantics just because your orientation is different on it). If you move away from the wall, or "forwards" from your point-of-view, your Z decreases.
I'm not sure if this helps or doesn't; it can be confusing and I understand that. You really have two options:

  1. Keep the current system.

  2. Select one of the two systems and go with it.

Pick wisely. Figure out what's beyond you and what isn't. If you stick with what you have, fine, but remember this post (and all the ones before it). Please. I don't like repeating myself.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ironcross32 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : SkyGuardian via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : kianoosh via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : pauliyobo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : kianoosh via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : kianoosh via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : visualstudio via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Alan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ironcross32 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Alan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ironcross32 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : SkyGuardian via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : SkyGuardian via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : keithwipf1 via Audiogames-reflector