Re: Blastbay Studios Open Source Libraries

@all
I give a great +1 for a library for creating effects based on convolutions, as well as HRTF.
It would be really excellent if it were usable real time, typically for an audiogame.

@41
> The combinations object would be interesting, if only for the used algorithms.

As far as I understand, the combinations object of BGT is built upon next_permutation, shuffle and ohter algorithms of the C++ standard library.

> As you are, to my knowledge, the first developer that uses angelscript in this way, could you give us your opinion about it. Can you provide us with an example of using it in a C application with the C interface, registering functions, variables, classes, etc?

Embedding AngelScript in your own C++ application is quite complicated.
Everything is explained in the website http://www.angelcode.com/

That's in fact exactly what Phillip did: embedding AngelScript, providing a certain number of useful objects, and making it usable as a general scripting language to make audiogames.
He, was the first; not me

IF you are interested in adding a scripting language to your game, I suggest first to look at lua.
Lua is sometimes quite weird and unintuitive, but embedding it is much easier.

Now, personnally, I considered AngelScript for a while, but in fact I think that the language in itself has problems, and I would no longer recommand it.
When you have experience in a few well-known languages, you feel that AngelScript handles are quite illogical. It behaves sometimes like Java or C# where everything is implicitely a pointer (except primitive types), and sometimes like C++.
It's messy, especially with arrays, dictionaries and other collection types.

And, on the embedding side, you have to handle strings yourself, you have to parse yourself the source code to handle includes and comments....
it's quite stupid stuff, but it feels a little the hacky way.

After having tried to embed lua, AngelScript and python, I finally decided to create my own scripting language.
I explained why  in the readme of the GitHub project at http://github.com/qtnc/swan

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : philip_bennefall via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : gabriel-schuck via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : philip_bennefall via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jaybird via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : philip_bennefall via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : visualstudio via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : philip_bennefall via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : philip_bennefall via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Aminiel via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : philip_bennefall via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Aminiel via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Aminiel via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : philip_bennefall via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : frastlin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : philip_bennefall via Audiogames-reflector