Android coding and editors?

So, I'm considering doing a competition next year. The competition is to design an Android app in any language you can code in, it just has to be presentable. here are my questions:
1: I know that Java can work on Android. Trouble is, Android Studio was not accessible when I tried it. If I was to use Java, could anyone point me to an editor that can function as an android device? I don't have an android myself, hence me asking.
2: Besides Java, what other languages work on Android? How easy are they to learn in comparison to Java? How do the two languages compare side by side?
Thanks for any answers. I have a year to figure it out, but I figured that asking here first before doing any research into the specific language wouldn't hurt.