Re: A question for developers About something I want to Attempt to create

Good morning,

I just wanted to jump in since you mentioned my name; thanks for the complement, by the way.

First, I did not write the actual language used by BGT. BGT used a scripting engine called AngelScript, from www.angelcode.com. I made a framework with features that were useful for my own audio game development needs, and wrapped them in AngelScript.

Having said that, a lot of people create programming languages. Not necessarily to try to become a contender for Python, Java etc, but as a way of learning. Writing compilers is very hard but quite rewarding, if you do it for the right reasons. If you go into it expecting to beat GCC, you'll most likely be disappointed but I think you know this already. But if the intention is to do it as a learning project and to expand your set of skills, I say go for it and I wish you the best of luck.

The first thing you will want to do is ask yourself what distinctive features your language should have. What makes it unique? Then you'll run into other questions like do you want static typing? Do you want the language to be focused on OOP or procedural code? Both? There are tons of similar questions to answer and it'll keep you busy for a while.

Good luck!

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall