How do I go about creating, editing or compressing soundfonts?

Hello everyone, I hope that I'm not repeating questions that other people have asked brfore. If so, I appologize.
So we all know that the Microsoft GS wave table is really bad, and that soundfonts are very easy to find and play files with. Playing midi files, however, is not all I want to use them for.
There are a few things I would like to achieve, but I don't know how to do them. Firstly, starting off by being able to edit an already existing soundfont. Then, I would like to try and create one of my own, one day. But that's for later. For now, I want to focus on just editing one.
What is the most accessible way to do this? Is it a standalone program or Do I need something like Reaper for it? Note, I'm just getting started with Reaper so don't know very much about it, other than it's confusing as hell.
One more question that just came to me, is it possible to use compressed files, like ogg inside a soundfont? If so, does that require a special program of any kind? Or is it not recommended to use files like these inside a soundfont? I'm just trying to save as much space as possible, that's why I'm asking.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : zseli via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : zseli via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Dekyo-NEC2608 via Audiogames-reflector