Re: Warsim, text based randomly generated stratogy

@Omer, they're great and they're going in the next update, if you every do anything else like it or find a place in the game that could do with certain sounds I'm always open to the help, fantastic work!

Also, friday discussion time

Hello everyone, been a busy week warsim wise this week and I've spent a ton of time working on several side projects within Warsim as well as mild progress on the combat update, I have gotten the combat update to a testable level at this point though, however I still need to develop my new battle damage system which will be a more advanced way of calculating the damage done to each side and will include injury.

COMBAT SYSTEM CHANGES

To get the combat system testable I coded a new structure for how the combat code pits the armies against eachother, it is subject to testing but currently should allow for a very varied and risky level of combat where anything could happen but it would be unlikely.

For example an army of 100 gnomes could in theory defeat a 1000 demon army by pulling some immense tactical manuver and getting lucky with it, however this should be incredibly unlikely unless the gnome leader is an incredible tactical commander with massive combat bonuses.

Primary the new combat phases will be split into several categories, A landslide victory, a strong victory, a close victory, or a draw.

A landslide victory in a combat phase would be a period of the battle where the winning side would be vastly outmatching the opposing army, catching them and doing lots of damage.

A strong victory would be one with losses on both sides but still very much more so on the losing side.

A close victory would be something of a dogfight where it's pure numbers vs numbers, here one side might be mildly victorious but for equally matched armies a sequence of close victories could still leave them open to being defeated in one fell swoop towards the end of the battle.

And finally a draw for when the armies are more or less matched in strength completely.

Each of these phase victory types will have tons of different sub events linked to them, so if an army does really well in a battle phase, the game will explain it in writing and come up with a reason for such a big win in that moment of the battle.

For example, a strong victory would currently be described as so:
'The rebels fight forward and gain a good advantage managing to overrun your men', then beneath it would display the troop losses on both sides.

YOUR LOSSES
-39 Peasants
-10 Soldiers
-1 Knight

THEIR LOSESS
-13 Soldiers
-4 Peasants

This is all still open to change and rigorous testing but generally should be how it goes from now on and I'm excited to test the battle sequences and make it as interesting and different as possible.

These battle events will also fall alongside random events and weather based events, so you might be doing well in battle and beating the rebels back, but then the rainy weather causes a mudslide and kills your advantage.

Maybe you'll be fighting that Bone Troll army beneath a flaming rain sky and the rain will intensify burning all on both sides and killing everyone.

THE REST OF THE WEEK

The rest of this week was spent primarily on three side projects within Warsim with several minor things alongside them, this will more or less constitute what the changelog for the coming update is going to say.

Kingdom types

Firstly with the help of the /r/gamedesign reddit community I got some new concepts for kingdom and ruler
types

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedesign/com … l_fantasy/

I ended up documenting all of the kingdom types on a wiki and took many suggestions from reddit which have ended up going in the game, you can see the updated list with all the new editions here on the new kingdom type wiki page

https://github.com/Huw2k8/warsim/wiki/K … hip-Titles

Any content that mixes up and makes those civs even more different and random that's good in my book.

Throne room ceremonies vastly improved

The throne room ceremonies were put in the game a while ago and were added with the intention to allow the player to host cool feasts where foreign leaders and relevant staff members would all gather. There would be introductions and entertainment but it wasn't done very well. I've gone through and improved on all of the entertainment to make it better displayed and richer in content taking notes from the throne room. I've tested these a bit and while the ceremonies could definitely do with more expansion, this update will greatly improve them and hopefully make them much more enjoyable.

New races

This week began off the back of last weeks race generator improvements and I still have a very large list of prefixes to work through thanks to all of the suggestions I recieved.

8 new race prefixes have been added and some of them have been modified to delivery unique abilities, my personal favourite are the Nightmare and Monstrous faces

https://imgur.com/a/INeYMl1

Warped and very out of shape, the nightmare prefix can turn even gnomes into horrific out of shape monsters with red skin and extreme strength. It warps the race it is assigned to into something completely different and I've not seen how it reacts with the vast majority of the races in game but everything seen so far has been totally warped.

These 8 new prefixes add an additional 3.3 million new possible races to the game, so it continues to get more random!

The update

The new update will hopefully be released tomorrow, thanks as always for the continued support, the Warsim community is awesome.

Thanks for reading

Huw

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : omer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Wastelander via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : omer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Wastelander via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Wastelander via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Wastelander via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : bookrage via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Wastelander via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : omer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Wastelander via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : omer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : RTT entertainment via Audiogames-reflector