Dear Linux

You've always been there for me, through all of it. Ever since I found you, you've just sort have been there, a steady presence in my life. We didn't hit it off that well at first. There are a lot of facets to you that are just difficult for a simpleton like me to unravel, but I learned about you over time and that lead to me appreciating you more.

I'm not a perfect person though. I mean, I have a lot of faults. I've hurt you, and I know you like to present this stoic image, but you're hurting inside and it's all my fault. I've done this to you, but still you are there. You never gave up on me, even when I went back to other operating systems. you've just... been there.

I know you're right there, your hand is out just waiting for me to come to my senses and take it. Don't think I haven't enjoyed the time we've spent together either. It's been at times frustrating, but also exhilarating. When I think of you, and all the things we have done, and still could do together, I feel elated, but something keeps drawing me away.

I don't know what it is, but I keep going to other operating systems, especially the one... well, you know which one I'm referring to. I've grepped deep into my heart, and there's definitely a place for you; however, I can't be with you full time. I know that's terrible for you, and I know that makes me a terrible person but I just can't help myself.

I just wanted to write this so you'd know that I still do think about you and that you still have a place in my life. I'm so sorry that I keep doing this to you, and I'm sorry that you won't just give up on me and drop me like you know you ought.

The truth is, I really do love you, but we really can't be together right now, and I don't know how to go on, and I also don't really know what else to say. I know you'll continue to be there for me, and I just hope that one day I'll be able to drop all the others from my life and run into your warm embrace and revel in it. I know you always have kept at least one file descriptor open for me and really, there are no words that I can say that will truly convey my appreciation for that.

I have to go now. This is making me sad, but I just wanted to get this off my chest.

Your #1 admirer,

Brandon