Re: Why I prefer NVDA over JAWS

@Dark
It gives you allot of warnings actually (too many IMO) and it lasts for ever not 15 days.  If what you said was the case I would totally agree with you though.
As for depending on others to keep your software license up to date, I agree.  That's partially why NVDA is my primary, but since nearly all jobs where I'd need JAWS would pay for it, the problem pretty much solves it's self.  I understand this isn't an option in much of the world, which then of course means that NVDA is the best option, but that's also because it's the only true option, aside from narrator I guess.
So saying JAWS is worse because you can't afford it is like saying Ferrari's are all useless piles of crap, without ever having truly been able to drive one.  It's self defeating.

@Brad
You may be right about me making the tone worse, I was frustrated and didn't have to come off that way.  The name calling may not have started yet but the ignorance and bias is well under way already, and this kind of bad info hurts everyone who is actually asking the question legitimately and with an open mind.  That's what I'm mostly upset about, but I should have handled it better.

As for you preferring NVDA; hey, that's great, if it works for you better I'm glad.  I also use it as my primary and really like it.
But JAWS (Job Access for Speech) is nearly always better in the workplace.  Mostly because it keeps up with updates for business apps and supports more of them, like Turbotax and Quickbooks as well as some database management software.
I think that people complaining about only being able to use JAWS at work either A.  Don't know the more helpful advanced features and have only gotten more basic training B.  Are only provided with an older and slower version of it or C.  They believe that NVDA would work better with a specific program.
So I agree that they should have the choice to use NVDA if they want and it does what they need, but I really don't agree that NVDA is better for the workplace overall.
Also, powerpoint support on NVDA really isn't that great from what I know and JAWS just has allot more useful features in the context sensitive help, more obscure dialogues and lists read properly, virtual ribbons, announcement of more formatting info, the skim reading and text analyzer tools which help complement Word, and just over all generally less lag (though hopefully UIA will help NVDA catch up a bit)
Speaking of catching up, if you read the NVDA changelogs, you will notice that they are still adding basic office support for things that JAWS was doing years ago as of 2019, so they still have catching up to do even if they are closing the gap.

@rwbeardjr
NVDA addons are not basically the same thing as JAWS scripts.  Generally those writing scripts are more professional and include far more help documentation, and some scripts, like those for Skype and Zoom for instance, are almost like an entire reskin of the program, where as most NVDA addons just do the bare minimum.
Also, though their are more addons over all, you will see that many of them don't work properly any more or do things in an insecure way which would make businesses not want to allow them on their network.
Don't get me wrong, I love addons like golden cursor, clipspeak, JGT, Automatic Speech Output for IF interpreters, and the Winamp, and VLC addons, but there are many more broken, buggy, and limited ones than good ones.

And the reason you have to pay at all to access your desktop?
Well lets see here.
1.  Paying programmers is expensive (those guys can easily make 80K per year)
2.  Paying for office space, equipment, and utilities and support staff is also expensive.
3.  Licenses for various JAWS components need to be paid for, usually for every copy soled, such as the OCR engine and voices.
4.  Having a good customer support line and people to answer it costs money.
5.  Training materials and podcasts cost money to create.
6.  Advertisement space and hotel/food/wrentle cars in order to attend important conventions and exhibitions like the NFB and CSUN.
Never forget that JAWS pioneered many of the concepts and features that we now take for granted in all modern screen readers (including NVDA) before we had a high quality free choice, it was either paying for JAWS, System Access, or Window Eyes.  So really, it's very lucky that we have any good free choices, and we should all be glad for those who paved the way, even if they aren't deserving of allot of respect nowadays.

As for assuming you aren't an advanced user...  I was right wasn't I?  I never said you couldn't use it at all.
And I based that on what you did and did not say in your first post and nothing else.
So take your talkback VS Voiceover analogy, and instead make it so that the reason I claimed Talkback was better than Voiceover is because it could custom label controls (voiceover can too) and because Voiceover has worse braille support (not true).
Obviously, I would say you haven't used Voiceover enough to know yet, because actually that's not true, and somaking a judgement without important info is bad and gives people the wrong idea that don't know better.
Like you admitted your self: "Do I know it as in depth as I know NVDA? No."
I'm not asking you to be an expert before having any opinion (I'm not one either) but you neglected to mention some important things, and I decided that instead of assuming you were just trying to make JAWS look worse do to anger at VFO's prices, you just didn't know better.
Should I have assumed the opposite then?  Maybe so, considering off topic jabs at JAWS like this one here and your strong opinions without supporting arguments on other programs like VIP Mud VS Mush.

Frankly, I think you just got frustrated and started venting before thinking it through properly, and never really had a good point to begin with.