Re: infini crawl, text dungeon crawling rpg similar to the wastes.

aaron wrote:

Hi,
I'm really liking the new update.
However, I've noticed a few things. There now seems to be two event logs. When switching to the gear tab, the event log is still on the page, so for new players, I think that could be a bit confusing because they might want to examine their gear.
Also, for the first time ever, I've been unable to open a chest. I'm level 3 with no skeleton keys, so that's quite interesting. Was this intentional? Also, at level 4, I keep on finding level 1 items on the ground when searching.
I'm starting to wonder if the best way to resolve the event log and gear issue, might be a help section which explains the layout, and also a settings section with some toggles, such as whether to display access keys or not, and also, another idea is to possibly put a toggle for the event log to be displayed in reverse, so that the last thing that happened is at the bottom, with the buttons below it. This should not be the default behaviour, however.

There are two event logs yeah, one for screen readers and one for visual players. Both display the same information, but the screen reader one was necessary to get the read messages when the event tab was not selected. I'll hide the other one for screen readers so you can't cycle into it somehow.

I think level 3 is a bit early to be worrying about skeleton keys. They can spawn starting at scene 1, but, the primary purpose for them is to get heirloom gear which is more of a mid game sort of function. I wouldn't be too worried if you don't get them early on. But it's basically just down to luck. One issue that I'm trying to combat is that the more items I add, the less each item spawns. I've built in a weighting system into my dev version and testing it out now, but skeleton keys are a tough one because there needs to be a delicate balance between too many or too few. I might just make them a vendor only item or something.

The level of items when searching is random, but based on your level. You can find items in a range from your level down to 5 levels below. Again, its just down to luck.

Help and settings sections are definitely on the list for planned updates. Just a matter of adding them to the layout somewhere that makes sense for both visual players and screen reader players.

I like your idea about a setting to reverse the event log. I went back and forth when designing the game about which order to display events, I landed on the reverse order so that I didn't have to scroll to the bottom to see events.