Re: Teens Are Not too Young for Depression

Hi all.
I did post a rant yesterday but as this has not degenerated into a utter flame war, I made myself slog through the entire thing just now.
I have a couple points to share.
1, technology and religion, its hard, I am born a christian, no I don't practice.
With all the terrorism and stuff and what I have seen in my family situation I don't know if having a religion to the extreme is that healthy.
Ok  the basic believe in god, jesus and the commandments is fine but over that, the church every sonday and the extras that goes with it, well I don't know what to say or tell you.
I have an uncle and aunt from another part of the country that I would put at the extremely extreme end of the religion without becomming cultest types however.
This does put things in to prospective.
I will mention this because it covers broadly a few bits on the topic.
A few things, 1.  as far as they care, the net is where the devel is and they didn't get the net for ages and ages.
They don't ever have new computers always getting the cheapest they can, so it breaks all the time and they never believe in anything new.
All their cash goes to the church and while thats fine its now to the detriment of themselves, and I just shut up about it most of the family do.
They are hard working honest people but at the same time the things they do some of them we would not do ourselves.
They had 4 children.
All of them were banned from technology all their lives, tv, and everything bar religious programming.
This did not help them.
Every time they came round to our places all they would do is watch tv all day and night since they were not allowed to do it at home themselves, they couldn't even afford one if they wanted to.
All of them eventually disliked their lives, got depressed and left home.
The first one studdied, got a degree, went to china, got her own business, which she owns, and got a couple kids.
They will come back eventually for schooling and such but will have to get someone to manage their company as qualifications wize she isn't really got them here anymore for some reason and couldn't do much till she studdied again and started from the bottem again but still she has a good life.
The second, of them joined a religious school/ cult, and while she does work here now begs for cash for everything from a car to her next trip to do gods work, and well basically spams us asking for cash.
She has a life, but not one we would choose in fact its something we find distastefull.
The 3rd one, got depressed, went from course to course not deciding what to do, came home, got really depressed, and is now living in wellington but who knows how long that will go.
The last one, got a job, a life, designed her own clothes, got a boyfriend who was a mamasboy, got dumped, got dangerously depressed, and is now a payed slave on superyachts oh and runs a lot of competitions and seems ok but could burn herself out at any moment.
Imagine if those kids had tech, the tv, and normal non extreme lives.
I can't say they'd not burn in hell, and I can't say they would be saints either, but these people have had unstable and unsettled lives and don't know where they are.
Now I am no saint, I have done some bad things and some good things, I won't burn, I may not go to heaven either but the point is my life has been for the most part stable.
I know people less advantaged than me that are not as stable but I don't know what to say thats nice.
I don't know even what the word stable actually means anymore.
Its a ballance issue.
As for being adicted to tech, yeah, to the poster that says its what we do as well that effects our kids, I totally agree with him.
We often critisise people for staying on their phones, people do it all the time in the street.
I once saw a guy walking, smoking and with a kid and he was on his phone.
My friend's dad, one of my friends dad's anyway is a total phone adict and will be on there for ages and ages.
My own dad is a total adict.
I have tried not to be adicted but still am to some extent.
The big issue is our style of living, we in new zealand haven't gone apartment fully yet but if you don't have empty space which I know is a premium, and only filtered air, and live in a self contained building with everything from a gym to everything else, you wouldn't have any reason to go outside.
You would use tech all day and never go out.
I had a cousin that lived like that with her 2 kids in germany with her husband for 5 years.
The kids got completely adicted to tech and totally shut in, there wasn't space, to move, everything was contained and they never went outside.
That relationship didn't work, my cousin is back here in new zealand and the kids are outside and now loving the space.
Thats why we really need to save our climate, sadly not going to there, there are to many extremists there to.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : darren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : darren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : ryok via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : redfox via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bashue via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : redfox via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : SkyGuardian via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : black_mana via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Smoke-J via Audiogames-reflector