Re: Invalid reason for banning racer max

@35, yep. And if the IP address is banned, its not too difficult to change it. The key, of course, is to look at the IP address and try to get its hostname. That makes it easy to detect things like betternet, because betternet uses AWS EC2 instances, and why the hell would someone be browsing *any* website on an AWS EC2 instance, over -- say-- SSH, for instance, when they can do it locally and have a much better experience?
Now, guests of the forum may get the idea that the hostname I'm talking about is the hostname of their computer. That's not what I'm talking about, though. Take, for instance, my universities instance of Blackboard. When I visit the blackboard website, it takes me through to a load balancer. That load balancer also sends out emails to students and such. That hostname is learn-prod-57fced8e8d3c5-475806890.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com. If I was a mod and I did a hostname lookup and saw a user of the forum coming from learn-prod-57fced8e8d3c5-475806890.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com, the logical conclusions I would draw are either (1) this user is on a VPN or (2) its a web crawler. If the user posts on the forum for any reason, that rules out the second possibility, leaving only the first. And as the old axiom goes...

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Liam via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Ethin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Jaseoffire via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Jaseoffire via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Ethin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Jayde via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : omer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : haily_merry via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Ethin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Ethin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Ethin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Ethin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : juan reina via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : FrankZ via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : FrankZ via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : defender via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : defender via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Tadej_Grum_2002 via Audiogames-reflector