Re: Lossless Audio in Games

Sorry for taking this a bit off-topic, but being the retro tech geek I am, I love experimenting with different ways of making audio as small as possible, especially back in the day when it had to be programmed into a tiny ROM chip. As far as I know the first talking device of any kind with no moving parts except for the speaker was the TeleSensory Speech+ talking calculator which came out in around 1976. While it's true that it had a vocabulary of about twenty-four words and the speech was completely monotonic and weird sounding by even the standards of the early 80's, they managed to get those twenty-four words into, if I'm not mistaken, a two-kilobyte ROM. That's right, 2,048 bytes.