Re: Monthly chat January2020

@Crescent, glad your year has started well and you've discovered the fun of monthly chat topics. oddly enough I don't have twitter myself, or for that matter facebook, this forum and email are the most interacting I do online, accept for games of course.

@Dark eagle, fair enough about tech levels. For me, I like to try out different settings and explore other worlds and experiences, which is one reason why, if books are set in the modern day, I tend to like them to do something different with fantasy elements or magic not just vampires, or telepaths or something we've seen before.
By the same token of course, my favourite works of fantasy don't tend to be tolkien immitators either.

One book i can highly recommend, which was probably urban fantasy before the term was really used,  is weaveworld by clive barker. It's set in the modern day, or at least the 1980's, and concerns a world woven into a magical carpet. Some sections involve going into that world, but most of it is set in Liverpool.

What I particularly liked, apart from the intensively wonderfull writing, is that none of the magic or the things you encounter are quite what you'd expect, there are no vampires or magicians, even what magic you see is slightly different.
Clive Barker is usually known for horror with an erotic tinge, there and though there are a few scenes like that in weaveworld, Barker calls Waveworld his one actual fantasy novel, indeed the only problem i found is that everything else I've read by Barker since then pales in comparison.

Well I've just finished pure by Juliana Baggot, a rather unique take on a post apocalyptic dystopea, sort of a hungar games style, though very different in form.
Not bad, though a little too brief in the descriptions which made the characters feel a bit more shallow than they might have done.

I'll be writing up a review either today or tomorrow.

My lady and I are also going out for lunch today and then trotting off to see starwars rise of skywalker again. The first time, the audio description headphones bust, and whilst we got the plot of the film, we'd like to see it with description, just so we know all the badness first hand.

We wanted to see cats, but it's not playing this week, and since my lady's radio therapy starts next week we thought we'd take the chance anyway.
Games wise, I'm playig a lot of dreamy train and shadow rine at the moment, particularly dreamy train since driving those trains is relaxing, I tried zombie mud out yesterday, but I was rather disappointed by the game, still I'll give it a fair go and see.