Re: Currently available portable talking book players.

Nah, that won't work for me, I do NLS all the time. Audible too though to a lesser extent. I'm not really worried about a ton of wireless features. I mean, I don't know what you want to see that they don't do, but I'm fine with what they actually do. I realize I'm imposing hardware/software restrictions on myself, e.g. as opposed to a phone or such which has already been pointed out, and I'm fine with that. I also realize there are ways to deal with things that you won't talk about, but I'm not interested in hem, both because of legality and because they take forever. I'm looking for convenience here.

I'm just looking for decent info to evaluate the players so I make sure I'm picking a decent player. If, for instance, the Stream's keypad dies after a year regularly, clearly it won't be a good option. If the Plextalk doesn't have good support, again, not a good option.

The bottom line is, I guess, I debated between one of these players and a new iPod, they'd be around the same price because I'd just get the iPod with the most memory. Like I said, I've got issues with the iPod. They're solved with the players, e.g. buttons for quicker access to controls, uniformity of dealing with content, both in terms of transferring it to the player and playing it, and so on. I can upgrade the capacity as much as I need to by just buying more memory cards.

It's down to the Stream or a Plextalk because they both seem to be currently available, and they seem to have similar features, e.g. the types of files they can deal with and so on. I was originally just going for the Stream but like I said, the PT seems to be the same price, and has similar features. So if there's something that's really better with one over the other, it would help to know that. PT's site seems a bit more disorganized than Humanware's, but maybe they have great support anyway. Anyway, I'm looking for experiences, not alternatives, unless they're equivalent to those two players. I use NLS and Bookshare pretty much every day, and the only reason I'm not using Audible is because I'm currently reading an NLS series. So that's why I've picked these two players as contenders.