Re: Steam games that are reasonably accessible

SLJ, sorry about the confusion. That's not my article or my guide at all. It was just something I found while actually *doing* my research, as I really wanted to support the devs of AudioWizards by repurchasing it for the PC. Many of the things mentioned in the article I didn't even need to bother with. Steam does nothing crazy for me during actual game installation, so I don't need to get around pop-ups or whatever. Also, I have never even used Cloud OCR at all, I use the Windows 10 OCR NVDA addon, which didn't work for me. But thanks for the trick with maximizing the window and upping the display resolution, Blaze. Should have thought of that myself. I'll definitely give that a try. Also, that Reddit article specifically mentions the guide posted over here on Audiogames, saying that didn't work any more, so that's why I didn't bother with that either. But thanks for pointing this out, I'll give it a look then. Also, SLJ, thanks for linking to the other forum topic, I'll check it out as soon as I send this.

See, I'm willing to work and learn to some extent, but I am just really busy these days. If I had nothing to do, I could spend my days trying to hack Steam itself and various games. If I have a spare couple minutes, I just want to play something and have fun. But that's not saying I disrespect the incredible effort many of you are putting into accessibility advocacy in gaming, not at all. I'm not offended, I see where you are coming from, but I need to pay my bills, you know, not hack games in order to play them just to hear some random sounds. Guess I'm too spoiled by audiogames. :-) I was growing up on PS1 and PS2 games like the Resident Evil, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Street Fighter, Metal Gear Solid and Tomb Raider franchises, so the only thing that has perhaps offended me slightly is the unconscious assumption that I've never tried and that I have no experience with that. On the contrary, I've done so much of that in the past that I just don't feel like doing it any more. To me in my current situation, that'd be an unacceptable waste of time I could otherwise have spent doing something productive.

I have two main jobs and like a dozen translation contracts currently in process, am engaged in several hobby projects of my own, some of which involve creative writing, others are games being developed and the last one is writing an article for an international conference to be held in May in Prague, which is the capital of my country. I am also in the process of applying for another main job, which if all goes well would replace the first of my current two jobs. So I believe this clarifies why I don't feel like spending my time figuring games out by trial and error if I just have a short while to play something once in every few days. To me personally, that is not fun any more. Using OCR is fine with me if it works in a given game, just like a bit of menu and move memorizing as long as there are guides written for the game so I wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel and do all the hard work myself. I'm okay with these things but they would take much more time than I can currently afford to spend on mainstream games.
Edit: Also, Blaze, I didn't know about having the possibility to refund Steam games within the first two hours. That's actually very useful and encouraging. Thanks for that tip.
Lukas

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : nyanchan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : nyanchan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : rwbeardjr via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : nyanchan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : nyanchan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : nyanchan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : nyanchan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : lukas via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : lukas via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : lukas via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : rwbeardjr via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : lukas via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Arkandias via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : rwbeardjr via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Arkandias via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : blaze via Audiogames-reflector