Re: bgt games, strangest deletion of all

I think @11 goes into bgt to python on a holy complex level, and want to disagree a little bit in certain regards.
Yes, so the sound support is more limiting, but by encouraging the use of specific sound formats, ogg over wav for example, are you not by and large encouraging smaller sound formats and distribution sizes and therefore a faster game?
At the end of the day, as well, as long as all the user sees is my_sound=lib.sound("bob.ogg") my_sound.play() they really don't care what's under the hood most of the time.
if they care that much, they'd make their own.
That all being said I agree that distribution python products is a main in the tail, for if no other reason than sourcecode protection is a joke.
Though things like cython are huge leaps in correcting that, I guess the aim is for to make us live in an open source universe, full of happy skipping bunnies. sad
In regards to what you mentioned about build instructions and such, surely a simple (relatively) setup.py script would take care of this? That's how the libraries you install through pip handle it.
I feel like this post has come off as a bit... Feh, but I think for the most part I'm just a bit grumpy this morning, smile
Python to bgt is not as hard as it looks, even if you do have to put a little leg work into how you go about writing the code, but it does unfortunately require a complete rewrite.
Talking about the alert function in bgt does make me wonder though, I wonder if you could achieve a bgt-like effect if you combined sound_lib, accessible_output and wx python. Seems a lot to work around, seeing as pygame could probably do a better job in a smaller size and all, but that's the sacrifice you make for trying to convert two totally different languages together just to please the masses I suppose.
The point is, BGT and python are two different types of programming language, evidenced most strenuously by the fact bgt uses braces, python uses tabs.
Hell, if you want something similar to BGT's ideas and concepts, go learn c++.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : dardar via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : rory-games via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Draq via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : jaybird via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : rory-games via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : dardar via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : ivan_soto via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : FeatheryPeachKitsune via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dragons via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dragons via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dragons via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Ty via Audiogames-reflector