Re: the slowness of bgt

Best post in this whole freaking topic?  27.  Thirty's not far behind, either.  Thumbs up.  The rest of you hurt my head.  You know what's worse than not knowing how to program?  Not knowing how to program but still being able to tell that there's a bunch of wanabes spewing forth spurious nonsensical dribble akin to abstract philosophical junk so verbose it's less important than dehydrated toejam.
Have you ever stopped to read half the stuff you guys write out here?  Post 27 was perhaps the most cohesive and coherent thing I've read in this particular room.  It was well organized, thought out, inclusive to anyone who should chance upon it and was written with no need to jump into massive amounts of complexity just to convey a point, with a bit of jokularity thrown in on the side!
I stress again, I'm no programmer.  What I say you can probably go ahead and roast and toast with minimal effort if you're able to pull a line of code out of your textbooks for that particular purpose.  You'll code me away in any and every language!  PERIOD!  What I am good at, is understanding what I do know versus what I don't know.  I can tell you that I'll more than likely remember the information in post 17 if anyone should chance to ask me how on earth to develop a simple hello world program.  What I fail to understand is the why, and that's what I feel so many of you out here don't focus on.
I just read a post out here that suggest you shouldn't focus on performance over productivity and that for that reason you should shye away from more complex languages.  Said poster also believes you shouldn't stick to something like BGT because performance over productivity, arguing that simplicity here gives the user less control and thus hinders productivity.  Do you know why that doesn't make any sense?  People are looking for something simple to program in so as to minimize the amount of work that has to go into the product and focus on the product itself!  What does that actually mean?  Almost everyone out here who is out here is out here because they want games and a quick way to produce them!
I'm a lot of things, musician included.  I understand that computer programming, much like many other things in this world, is an art.  When I was advised by hackers to go play chess, learn a martial art, write a journal, cook a few different things, involve myself in friendly debates, yada yada yada, I began to understand one thing concretely.  You don't program overnight.  NO!  Not, really!  Programming involves so many more steps than just surface knowledge!  I could probably read all of Dardar's tutorials and not learn how to program efficiently  in python because I'm still not equipped with about a hundred other things and a checklist with which to organize them.
Patience, problem solving skills and a willingness to persevere until one has the right answer and not just a mixup of good or bad answers, blocking against boredom, loss of curiosity, inability to recognize errors because one does not pay attention to careful details... I could go on and on, but the fact is that no matter how much more I throw in, that this is how art works.  It does not exist like some sort of materialistic box with fancy things inside you can just pull out and smash together and call a soup, anymore than you could call it an orchestral piece worth listening to.  I see posts in here and on other topics in this room where people throw out numbers, lines of code and phrases and other jargon they think everyone should just, flat out understand, then wield a whip of condescension they're ready and willing to use at a moment's notice when they feel they can on someone who they know or rightly guess is weaker than them in an area rather than picking them up.
In short, many of you in here  are quick to dismiss BGT as a possible solution that minimizes the problem of performance over productivity while chiding those who use it because they would rather be developing games rather than trying to figure out how those games work.  If you're going to make blanket statements like that, either teach those you deem your oponents how to code efficiently by showing them why code works the way it works and the logic behind it, or admit to yourself and to them that you probably don't know as much as you think you do, rather than just telling them it works that way and if they don't understand it they need to pack it up and go to blazes!  This seriously is one room I wouldn't recommend to anyone who is trying to start out, as I've come across enough topics out here to showcase this elitist and toxic mindset of who's ideas are better and who's just don't fit the ticket, all for reasons that conflict with one another!  You can tell me that it's universally acceptible to stop developing games in any language when games in said language are not being developed in said language and there are no people playing them!  Until then?  Post 27 is living proof that the greatest detractors out here seriously need to reconsider their opinions.
And now, I take my leave; you'll more than likely not find any more posts from me in this room until true productivity becomes an actul thing out here and we can all learn to collectively get along without trying to raise blisters with jibes and personal insults and what have you.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Jaidon Of the Caribbean via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : tunmi13 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Ty via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Nocturnus via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : rory-games via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Nocturnus via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Liam via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Nocturnus via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Lucas1853 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Lucas1853 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : pauliyobo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Mitch via Audiogames-reflector