Re: Corona Virus: is it the beginning of the end?

I agree with Ethin. The thing is, while I personally would be able to obey the rules of a lockdown pretty easily, there are a lot of people who, for reasons of selfishness, desperation, or both, would not. China's government is already oppressive; the US government is not. So I would imagine that the average Chinese citizen would be more willing to take harsh measures in stride, because they're used to doing what they're told or else. We just don't tow the line that way here. You also have to think of all the small business owners who are basically left high and dry here. Lack of financial stability leads people to do desperate things. I do not see this bill that's supposedly being proposed by the senate being feasible. The economy is already crashing; where, pray tell, is this trillion dollars that's going to provide some semblance of financial compensation coming from? Even if it works in the short term, the effects on the economy once things settle back into normalcy would be devastating. So, since something like that wouldn't work, how exactly are struggling people going to afford the necessary items they need to keep themselves afloat during a lockdown? I think that vulnerable populations--the disabled, elderly who live alone, etc.--are going to take this the hardest, since no one would be allowed to bring them essential supplies.