Re: socializing - any tips?

I'm genuinely sorry that your parents gave you such backwards advice. I can't say I'm surprised, unfortunately, since mine told me that having friends meant nothing, only getting good grades mattered, but damn. Forgive me for saying so, but that response shows a stark lack of empathy. As for teachers rewarding kids for talking to you, I can completely understand how dehumanizing that is, too. The kids only did what they thought would get them a favor later in life, depending on how old you and they are, or, at the very least, they thought it would benefit them in the short term somehow. it's incredibly sad, but, as I said, I've seen it all. It's disheartening to know that such things still happen, though.