Re: I Have to Use Jaws For a Few Hours, and Here Are My Thoughts

When using JAWS, I agree that it is slightly more efficient navigating Microsoft Word documents than NVDA, but there are a number of things that JAWS does within its braille support that are very poor supports indeed (in my opinion). Some of these are indications of formatting. No matter if something is bolded, underlined or italicized, JAWS uses dots 7 and 8 (dots that are not normally used, especially in the United States) to indicate all those types of formatting. Even though you may put dots 4-5 followed by 2 to indicate bold, they intermingle with dots 7 and 8, and therefore make it very hard to discern what’s going on with a block of formatted text. You could press Jaws key+f of course, but it is much faster to read a formatting change in Braille. Also, when it comes to mathematical content, JAWS is woefully inadequate for reading high-level mathematical and scientific equations. I am currently a college student taking intro-level Chemistry, and the reading of these equations by a screen-reader is required since my textbook is online. NVDA, however, reads math content smoothly and flawlessly, even displaying it as Nemeth content on my braille display.
So in short, I think JAWS should stay around for some things, but I definitely only use it as a secondary screen-reader.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : swigjr23 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Munawar via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : superb via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Mitch via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Dark Eagle via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : black_mana via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : electro via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Munawar via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : hadi . gsf via Audiogames-reflector