Re: Covid Fearers, Please Read

53, A few things.
I didn't overcome my blindness. That phrase is used so much I have no idea it means anymore. Does my blindness not exist now because I get a job? I would say absolutely not. I think   battling or fighting with blindness is a more accurate term, as it is an ongoing process. I never thought that blind people collecting SSI and SSDI  are people being lazy or anything. I really think blindness is one of the top 5 most severe disabilities one can be born with or acquire, and any disability coming on top of blindness shrinks it into the top  3 easily, and I am glad the system appears to recognize that. When  faced with a choice with minimum wage rehab and benefits, I probably would take the benefits too, like you would. There is a third option, take the benefits, and move abroad where they will be worth more, and you can still get them that way.
As for the rich, I am not implying that taxing more  will magically make the situation disappear overnight or it will solve other problems. It will however, raise substantially more money for the government, allow a single payer healthcare system, a stronger social safety net, hopefully! better pandemic preparidness,  infrastructure developments and improvements etc. And they should own probably less wealth they would now if those rates were raised. This isn't about taking away peoples' wealth, it is demanding that people contribute to society the way they are most able. Moreover, I agree with the need for a better healthcare system, am mostly in favor of single payer, but this means more taxes too, even though a majority of the middle class and lower income groups will save more. So even though it wouldn't stop the rich from being rich, higher percentages and closing tax loopholes would allow  possibly better healthcare infrastructure etc. But if you see the OECD average for income tax,   you will see the US is much lower down in the scale than most of the developed countries there. Finally,  taxing noncitizens in the States, and taxing citizens outside the states  is very clearly theft. in the first instance noncitezens pay payroll taxes even though they will never be eligible for the benefits. In the second instance, you are taxing a person even though they don't reside in the country, and moreover on top of  any taxes that country might impose. This type of person pays taxes solely by virtue of being a citizen with very little to no benefit to themselves, at a significant time and monitary expense, as foreign taxes can quickly get very complex.  Moreover due to the reporting requirements for foreign banks, many in Europe are flat out refusing to do business with citizens in order to not have to deal with the IRS.