Getting started with star conquest

Hi,
So lately I've been considering giving SC a try, however I have a few questions.
Does anyone know where a good soundpack for the game can be found, one that receives regular updates, etc? I think it's pretty sad / petty that the hosts completely 100 per cent discurrage the use of soundpacks to the point where mentioning them on the ooc channel will earn you a nice little warning, and of course there's no @soundpacks command like there is in miriani, but that's another topic for another day.
I've herd absolute horror stories about the profile application process. Is it really as bad as some say it is? I've never been the best at writing storyline or descriptions for anything, so, yeah.
What do you guys think makes this game worth playing over something like, say, miriani?
And lastly, any other tips / advice you guys have?
Thanks,
Haily.