Re: Creepy Windows 10 surveillance

Camlorn wrote:

Okay, look, guys.  It costs a ridiculous amount of money to do speech recognition at scale reliably, and even when they do it can't reliably detect what you're saying when you speak clearly in a quiet room to your Google Home or whatever.  And we can barely build a reliable barcode scanner app that doesn't need to be lined up perfectly, and barcodes are *explicitly* designed to be scanned.

Speech recognition is the most accurate I've ever seen it. From my experience, these smart devices have no trouble understanding people. If it can get my name right (and it does,) I'd say it's pretty damn good.

Recently I had one of my friends go through their Alexa account just to see what data Amazon is storing. There were so many clips that were marked "not for Alexa" but that were stored on their Amazon account that I lost count of how many. And the voices in the recordings were crystal clear--all the way from across their house, to the point where even I could understand what was being said in the recordings, with my hearing problem.

Just like some of us take the "it's not possible approach" because it seems impossible, others of us say it is indeed possible that data collection is happening on orders of magnitude higher scales than we know about. Images are being transmitted everywhere and cameras are talking to one another (and transferring image files, which are very large.) How do I know this? Well, if you go to a foreign country, enough of your identity is pulled up about you just by facial recognition. Nowadays you don't even need to pull out your passport and foreign agencies know where you live just by scanning your face (this is from experience.)

Data transfers are getting faster and bandwidth is increasing to the point where what used to slow down residential Internet just ten years ago now doesn't even cause it to hiccup. So yeah, it's entirely possible. We've been kept unaware because we believe in the mediocrity of technology, but this is exactly what the data collectors want from us.

If you have an Alexa, check out your Amazon account when you get some time and you'll be shocked at how many small recordings are stored of you--all without your knowledge. Once my friend discovered this, they finally listened to me and got rid of their smart technology. Especially after one of the recordings was of them and their significant other having sex...

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : NevEd via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : NevEd via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : connor142 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : thetechguy via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Gamulation via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Munawar via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : stasp via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Munawar via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : connor142 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : connor142 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Munawar via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : targor via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : colpick via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : NevEd via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : ignatriay via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : TheTrueSwampGamer via Audiogames-reflector