Re: Free Code Camp.org Challenges

I'll revive this because ironically now I need help:
Problem text:

FreeCodeCamp.org wrote:

The 24 Game tests a person's mental arithmetic.
The aim of the game is to arrange four numbers in a way that when evaluated, the result is 24
Implement a function that takes a string of four digits as its argument, with each digit from 1 to 9 (inclusive) with repetitions allowed, and returns an arithmetic _expression_ that evaluates to the number 24. If no such solution exists, return "no solution exists".

Rules:

• Only the following operators/functions are allowed: multiplication, division, addition, subtraction.
• Division should use floating point or rational arithmetic, etc, to preserve remainders.
• Forming multiple digit numbers from the supplied digits is disallowed. (So an answer of 12+12 when given 1, 2, 2, and 1 is wrong).
• The order of the digits when given does not have to be preserved.
Example input
Example output
solve24("4878");
(7-8/8)*4
solve24("1234");
3*1*4*2
solve24("6789");
(6*8)/(9-7)
solve24("1127");
(1+7)*(2+1)
Source

I do not want a full-fledged solution, but I do want some tips as to how to even attempt this one. I thought of storing the factors of 24 and trying to make the numbers equal those, but that doesn't really solve my issue with trying all the possible combinations