Re: The Synthizer Thread

@17
It's C++17, maybe with C++20 features.  Trying to use older C++ versions or to specifically track the required C++ standard is a massive maintenance burden in the specific case of this being a weekend project that I still want to move on quickly.  The recent C++ standards have been fixing gaping ergonomics holes in the language and it's already saved me at least a man-day of effort.

It probably compiles under GCC with a little work to make CMake aware that GCC exists, but I say Clang because on Windows getting GCC to work is an epic headache and even if you do I expect it still falls over because of CMake being weird.  Clang 9 probably still works and probably will work for a while, and maybe I can get Appveyor to specifically build with it to prove that that's the case.

MSVC won't work for a while because in MSVC doing SIMD requires using architecture-specific extensions rather than just declaring some vector types, meaning that future plans to target AVX/AVX2 would require writing multiple versions of everything, plus yet another version for ARM.  I could, and I will eventually if there's demand, but it's nontrivial and right now it should compile to something decent on all Clang-supported architectures, even the weird ones.

If someone big comes to me and says "We need xyz compiler versions" I will make xyz compiler versions happen because that makes my time more valuable, if that makes sense, but I do not relish the idea of using C++11 or C++14 *and* writing multiple algorithms because of MSVC stupidity at the moment.  Also before anyone like Godot can be interested there's the 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound problem, namely that I'm in an apartment and there's no way you're getting a home theater in here, and that's in many ways bigger than the compiler issue since it needs someone with domain specific knowledge to do it.