Re: How Did You Guys Learn to Code

There are 2 parts to learning how to code: learning the language and learning how to think like a developer.  Learning computer languages is easy. learning how to think in a way that lets you break down problems and solutions in a way that can be turned into code takes time and practice.

As you read through the tutorials, you need to commit to typing out and running every example that the author includes.  When you complete a chapter or section, you should then spend time you should spend time writing up small programs that use what you just learned.  For example, if you just learned how to do for loops--create different types of for loops.  Perhaps ones that count backwards or by a changing incremental value.  As lyou you learn mmore about a language, try coming up with small programming challenges for yourself and writing code.  Spend time refactoring your code--that is take a program you wrote and try to rewrite it in a better way with what you understand now.

How I learned is that I started with one programming language andread a good book teaching that language.  I typed out every example in the book.  At the end of each chapter, I would go back and make changes to those examples to check my knowledge on what I learned.  When Ifinished the book, I then located the language reference for the language and started reading through that.  I typed up the examples includined in the language reference.  I wrote my own code playing around with concepts in the language to see how well I understood them.

I also started just writing code to create small helpful programs.  For example, I needed to memorize a bunch of information about the periodic table so I wrote a program that would quiz me about the information and tell me how I did each time I ran the program.  I wrote a command line program that let me role dice for an RPG I was playing.

I would then go back later and rewrite those programs.  As you gain experience with coding, you find better ways to do things.

I would also read articles about programming or the languages I had learned.  those articles would frequently show me a new way to do something or teach me a new concept.

I looked at other people's code and tried to learn from their work.

Like most skills, reading a book or taking a course is a good start to learning but the only way you get good at the skill is by using it over and over again.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : manamon_player via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : manamon_player via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Jaidon Of the Caribbean via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : leibylucw via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Dark Eagle via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : kaigoku via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Hektor via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : bhanuponguru via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : visualstudio via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector