Re: what do i need in an rpg engine?

See, my main problem is storing and persisting data across maps. I got the observer pattern down (it was really really neat when it all clicked), but I just can't come up with a good system for storing objectives and map changes.
I could save a copy of all map tiles whenever they're modified, but that seems wasteful. A better option would be to store the changes as events and apply them as the user enters and leaves the map, but again, that just seems off to me. I would have to store
everything
that changes throughout the game, and that seems a bit extreme, especially when the event will happen once.
I also am a bit mixed on storing data. I could store objectives in code - dedicating a file for storing all the objectives - but again, this seems off to me. People use XML, embed scripting languages into their games, and I wasn't really able to find any answer as to what option is better overall. Each comes with it's own pros and cons.
I really need to sit down and try to build something on that scale... it will be an entertaining venture to say the least.