Re: is there a good and accessible replacement for file explorer?

Hmm this is a very interesting discussion guys!
Bakc in 2018 ish I had major issues with NVDA and File Explorer. For a while I disabled UIA in NVDA which massively sped it up, but after a while NVDA became very reliant on UIA so that disabling it pretty much made the whole program not work. Fortunately, my File Explorer issues got better on their own, but it still feels laggy. It's not bad enough that I'm tearing my hair out, but I still marvel at how responsive it is after I freshly reinstall Windows versus after I've used it for a few months. For the record I'm on an SSD, and when I mention how responsive it is, I'm taking into conderstaion all of my drives, even externals. When I fresh install Windows, everything is just way more responsive in File Explorer, and sometimes when I restart, it gets responsive for a bit. But soon it develops a lot of lag.

When I was having major issues, I tried Explorer++ (the one with two plus signs). I liked it, it was quite responsive, but one issue I had with it is that with folders with large amounts of items, it would lag a ton while it was gathering the items in the list. After it had loaded it was fine, but going in and out of that folder was annoying because I'd constantly be waiting for it to load the large file list. 7Zip File Manager also does this, but File Explorer doesn't have that issue, not nearly as much anyway.

So I'm keen to try these other options, specifically Xplorer 2. Before I dive in though, my questions:
1. Should I be looking for Xplorer 2 and not bothering with xplorer? Are they the same, just Xplorer 2 is newer?
2. Am I being too picky? When going into folders with huge amounts of files, is a big lag expected and unavoidable? I don't routinely go into huge folders every hour of every day, but it's still very jarring when I go from responsive interface to completely stuck and waiting.