Re: This title needs to go

@jayde
I too think your example fell a tad short of the mark.
A form that fails to take into account non-binary individuals is certainly a microaggression, as it impedes _expression_ and discounts a sociological gender. In such a case, the signer would be well within their right to acknowledge the fact that they're unable to complete said form factually.
Pulling out the dictionary again. As this isn't misgendering by the formal definition, this isn't a microaggression by the formal definition, either.

microaggression wrote:

a statement, action, or incident regarded as an instance of indirect, subtle, or unintentional discrimination against members of a marginalized group such as a racial or ethnic minority.

discrimination wrote:

the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.

The above implies that the title is being used to represent her as a person, which it most certainly is not. It also implies that she is being discriminated against, which is simply untrue.
A microaggression stems from biases against a particular group, e.g. a white female cringing and subconsciously grabbing her bag when getting in an elevator with a black male (read that one somewhere). While the female isn't accusing the male of violent tendencies, she's, if unintentionally, judging him by preexisting stereotypes and racial tension.
No assumptions about Haily are being made in this instance, no prejudicial treatment. I could argue that in requesting different/special treatment she is actually opening the door to discrimination and further exacerbating the matter by drawing attention to herself. That's another one maybe for another day.

A microaggression is not, however, a blanket term that can be used when offense is taken out of a situation where no offense was intended.

She is, of course, well in her right to feel the way she does in any given situation. I acknowledge that, just as I am freely able to feel that when viewed through this particular lens, her concern is comparatively unimportant. Each and every one of us has challenges that we must overcome in our own way. The difficult time she has had in dealing with her new gender identity is distasteful, and I don't expect her to wear the same thick skin as myself when looking at this issue.
I steadfastly believe in the importance in looking at a problem big picture. Blindness? People genuinely don't know in 99% of cases. It's not a big deal? Maybe that doesn't help you and your interpretation, but doesn't make it untrue. When one lets their opinions be known, be it through actions or discourse, they open the floodgates for commentary by those with differing levels of experience.
It's not ridiculous to assume, based on the content of her posts here and everywhere else, that we know why she is upset.

You're right in saying this is a simple process. It could literally be changed in an eighth of the time it took me to write this post. However, I feel that altering this is quite frankly unnecessary and would further set a bad precedent.
Administrative action on this forum, at any capacity, should be objective. What is allowed for one user should be offered to others for the same reasons, and I feel that we aught to make note of our allowance somewhere lest we once again have a long list of edge cases. That, or say fuck it, find another name for the title that would make everyone happy and put this issue to bed?

I'll reiterate. The title isn't referring to her as a wealthy philanderer. It's a piece of historical resemblance to a loved audiogame.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Dgleks via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Jayde via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Jayde via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Jayde via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : ZK via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Jayde via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Jayde via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Jayde via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : soren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Jayde via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : ZK via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Jayde via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Jayde via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : soren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Exodus via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Jayde via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Nocturnus via Audiogames-reflector