Re: english accents

@dark: I based my judgment on the following statement, in a previous post, by Sebby: "it always infuriates me when American English creeps into formal contexts." This strongly implies that he believes American English should only be used in informal contexts, and I can't see any reason for that belief, other than a feeling that American English is inferior English.  I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, in telling me that Sebby is part of a minority group. In my experience, minorities, the disabled, and every other sub-group of people are equally prone to racism and bigotry.  If I were trying to say he was prejudiced against people from Turckey, I could understand your purpose in saying this. But I'm not; I'm accusing him of prejudice and bigotry towards various English dialects, and I don't see how his cultural identity has any relation to that.  I honestly came really, really close to reporting Sebby's first post, but didn't, because you had previously asked me to stop jumping the gun with my reports.  I also did not believe you would act on my report, so the only way I could make the fact that I found the post unacceptable clear and unmistakable was to express it. And I did not intend to imply that I believe you are some kind of evil emperor.  While I believe you are sometimes, maybe even frequently, wrong about a large number of things, I have immense respect for your job as a moderator.  I will say that, on a reading of the rules, I can't really see what rule you would ban me under, or even what rule you're issuing me warnings over.  However, following the rules exactly as written is never a good thing, because moderators need the flexibility to do what they believe is right, and rules lawyering never helped anyone.  I believe that in banning me, and in your belief that Sebby has said nothing wrong, you are incorrect.  But if you believe that yo u are right, as you obviously must, you have to act on your beliefs without compromise.  I always do what I believe to be right, no matter what the consequences, and think everyone else should do the same. Your threat to ban me, therefor, must have had one of the following purposes:
1.  You want me to stop doing what I am doing, and show respect for opinions that I find distasteful in the extreme. I will not do this.
2.  You find my speech harmful in some way, and believe it must be suppressed.  Asking me to stop saying what I am saying will not work, because I believe the posts that I have made in this thread are an ethical imperative for me.
3.  You want me to leave the community for some other reason.  You seem to have just indicated that this isn't the case.

As I can't compromise on my ethics, I don't see that you have any alternative but to ban me.  I don't want to be banned, either, obviously.& nbsp; But I don't see that I have ever done anything wrong, either by violating the rules, or otherwise.  So if you believe I am harming your community, I cannot and will not change, so you'll have to protect the rest of the community from whatever it is about me you find dangerous or objectionable.  I suppose you could delete all of my posts that you dislike, for whatever reason, and that would probably eventually prompt me to leave the community on my own, but in my opinion, that would be a much less honourable solution than just kicking me out.  The last time I was this close to getting banned was the filters issue.  The only reason that never happened was because you compromised nearly completely on that one, changed all of the filter text to [spam], and delete filters I complain about almost immediately. Unless I am misunderstanding the depths of your convictions, I'm not sure that a similar compromise on your part is possible over this issue, and I know that it isn't from me.  So, yeah. This isn't criticism of you, or the rest of the moderation team. It's just a clear statement from me of where I believe that we stand. I have no idea if or how we can move forward from this point.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : fastfinge via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : fastfinge via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : fastfinge via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : fastfinge via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : fastfinge via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : kamochek via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : fastfinge via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : fastfinge via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : arqmeister via Audiogames-reflector