Re: Shooter XT - Open sourced 2D Sidescroller Shooter for BGT beginners

I would like to chime in for a second.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with making code open source, in fact I've long since held out hope that the community would take steps in this direction. there is likewise nothing wrong with making messy code open source, so long as you pay heed to the consequence that it isn't prime learning material and make a clear note of such, perhaps the one mistake tunmi made here.

That aside, my hat goes off to OP for his willingness to share his work.

A couple of you guys are entirely too fucking critical. From what I've seen he doesn't yet have that many projects to his name and is still a junior dev. It takes a lot of confidence to be willing to take the step and hand your work out to others in it's entirety. You guys want open source, right? You guys wish big devs would hand there code to you to learn from, right? Then have some more courtesy toward those that do. Appreciate the time they took out of their day to give you something you could criticize. Some of the above posts shy away from accommodating code reviews. Instead of showing OP how to improve, reading in between the lines I see suggestions shrouded in touches of arrogance. There's no reason to discourage.
Everyone has work they aren't necessarily proud of. Some of my beginner code is cringe worthy to the highest degree. Efficiency and cleanliness takes time and experience. Anyone attempting to provide advice should know that.
Others have reviewed the code so I don't see any reason to look at it myself, but even if this were worthy of an entry into an obfuscation competition it still exists, still works, still took time and still has a purpose, if nothing else than to show Tunmi where he could improve. Let's try not losing sight of that.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Simter via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : redfox via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Lucas1853 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : tunmi13 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Dungeon Diver via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : TheTrueSwampGamer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : ashleygrobler04 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : john_weed via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : tunmi13 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : ilyas booneehee via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : tunmi13 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Jaidon Of the Caribbean via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : tunmi13 via Audiogames-reflector