Re: Could we please have a dedicated Developers forum?

Well, Dark, you've certainly acquitted yourself well, much as the simple farmer in a world of industry does. big_smile

You might like to *think* about putting a backup online, but make sure it's encrypted. This is a bit more durable than a bi-weekly USB disk copy, in addition to occurring much more frequently, of course. It might also let you have access to your stuff on iOS. There's now also the excellent BitTorrent Sync, for syncing data between computers on your network or over the net.

You really hate Win7 that much? It is Windows, after all; it runs Windows apps. But yes, I reckon you'd get on with a Mac, once you've climbed the initial curve. It's not like you can't use XP in a VM for the stuff you absolutely can't live without on that platform, and in fact that's arguably an advantage for your portability, because you can use the same VM on two different computers.

As to iCloud, right now it's application-specific, though Apple are finally getting some sort of a clue and turning it into a drive for inter-app communication. Things are improving. Even so, I don't know how offline sync will work, and of course there's going to be the questions of data security and cost per GB. Dropbox will do much of that today, though I'm not using Dropbox for other reasons. Of course, OS X is unlike iOS in that it has a local file system, as Windows does. Still, I think it's safe to say that I'd prefer something with no wires to a spinning 1TB disk, though that's also not much of an excuse once external SSDs become commonplace. smile

For a good while I have been meaning to descend from the cloud a little, especially for email. I'm not sure POP3 will do it, but I'm also n ot sure how running my own server makes the data much safer. If the good guys want to break in, they still can. However, I stay my recommendation concerning backups: it's cheap, convenient, up-to-date, and protects you all the time. Keep such a backup in addition to your external disk; OS X comes with Time Machine which backs up every hour.

I don't think you have anything to fear from Apple's control freakery. The music is now DRM-free, but even so they're hardly going to root you out like the disgusting commie you are. smile Apple are no doubt a wunch of bankers, but you can enjoy the products without having to like the company. Just be scrupulous in what you allow. I think privacy is one of the few things Apple is actually completely on your side about, and they've long recognised that being pro-consumer benefits them more than it hurts then; in fact I'd argue that DRM is a manifestation of that belief, even if it only applies to 95% of said consumers who Apple can rely on to either not know or not care that DRM is harmful. Without doubt, ordinary people is their target market.