Re: Why do so many people use Sendspace and what is so great about it?

Hi chris.

There are several good things about sendspace which you doubltess missed. Firstly, if the movie vault you mentioned had used a pro link rather than a free one, your download speed would be fine, it is thus there issue. That is why I used a pro link for my smuglers 5 podcast.

Second, the hosting you get with a paid account is pretty gigantic! we're talking in tb terms here, as well as fast downloads of other people's stuff with the wizard which I will add is utterly and completely accessible on windows anyway, goodness knows what's happening with mac, (I actually was arranged with some of the windows access myself, or at least I suggested fixes to ss). The wizard is also available to do lots of other operations, creating folders, copy and paste file links, sending links to multiple people etc.

Third, and as a really major point, note that the hosting on sendspace is perminant. No download limits, no restrictions, no cutting off your fil es after x amount of days. This is personally something I really dislike about dropbox, the fact that the space is everemely limited and that the files expire pretty quickly unless you have a paid account. I'll also note that sendspace doesn't rquire any mucking about with desktop applications or extra folders on your computer, or indeed people's contacts. you just activate the wizard with a right click option.

Fourth, Sendspace is easy to use, there are lots of file sharing services I've seen that are ridiculous with their page layout, covering the place with adds and other crap, having download counters. Sendspace has a fairly simple layout and to download it's just "click here to start download"

So, those are the good points about sendspace. I will agree that for free accounts using files the speed can be low which is a problem, but the paid account avoids this issue and actually does add a lot of bennifits. this is why i personally use sendspace over dropbox, though if I was giving out somethinglike my smugglers 5 podcast which I expected a lot of none ss users to use I'd probably use a pro link and thus avoid the download limitations.

Lastly, i will say that the speed isn't that bad it just means you need to wait for your download, it doesn't restict oyou in other ways. I downloaded a fair few things before I had my account and occasion to test whether it's still relatively easy to download I log out from my account and download from a standard file link. I admit I'm probably more patient than most people sinse I remember days when it'd take 15 minutes to download a 1.5 mb mp3 file.

So, while I agree ss has good and bad points like anything else at the same time I do appreciate the good points when I do! have a paid account, and personally I dislike the lack of space and temporary nature of dropbox which is why I wouldn't use them, particularly for things like keeping online backups of my thesis or my recordings.