Re: urgent warning

@15
Stop being stupid about this, change the password on the forum. Change the password on your e-mail.  If you think there's a keylogger on your device, reinstall Windows and consider it a valuable lesson as to why you shouldn't run random pieces of software from other teenagers with a history of doing this kind of stuff on the internet, and also as a lesson in why I didn't think that "here's a practical joke program" thread was funny.  If you know you're being hacked and you get hacked anyway, you deserve whatever you get, and being as it's ridiculously easy to prevent it from happening I don't actually believe you either.  If this is you being hacked already, reach out to the mods privately and get it fixed, but being as it's seemingly your writing style and you're already asking to be banned to prevent you from doing stuff like this, I don't believe that either.

@12
The only way to get a password is to guess it, and for something like the forum the only way to guess it in a reasonable amount of time is to be so far into the forum's software that you could just hack the database, or enough of a professional that you have much better things to do than hack teenagers on a forum for the blind.  So that only really leaves the issue of secure passwords.

Random characters or sequences of words are the best.  Not random as in "I pounded on the keyboard" but as in "I got a password manager and asked it for one".  Pounding on the keyboard is actually very not random.  If you have 10 truly random characters from the alphabet, both capitol and lower case, there are 144555105949057024 passwords to try.  If you use a sequence of 10 random words from the dictionary, the possible number of passwords becomes a number so ridiculous it's not even worth pasting here.

The best way is to get a password manager, memorize the password to the password manager, and store your passwords in there (both 1password and keepass are accessible enough).  There's lots of options for passwords that are secure but not so hard to memorize as long strings of random characters: quotes from books, serial numbers on devices you use around the house,  do a phrase in Latin or something, sequences of numbers you can compute if you know the formula, full sentences.  Even stupid stuff, say "I love my mom" or something equally silly, is secure enough.

In fact, believe it or not, "Your password must contain..." sorts of restrictions are less secure, because they tell the attacker things that are definitely in your password.

The trick is to not use something common and to not use something that shows up in a dictionary of possible passwords: no single words from the dictionary, nothing like your birthday or something that someone could find by looking you up, etc.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Meatbag via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : keyIsFull via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : rory-games via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Wilson via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Wilson via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : supremekiller via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Meatbag via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : soren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : soren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Rich_Beardsley via Audiogames-reflector