Re: Here's Why I'm Inclined to Believe Rory and Others

@63
To my knowledge that's legal, but there's no way to actually implement it.  You can arguably get the data, but it takes days and it costs a lot of money.  Background checks are $30 or more. Credit cards can only be validated if you get a payment processor and try charging it, and I don't believe that validation actually comes back with names or addresses, and just matching the zip code is enough to pass.  The sorts of things you're discussing, if you got all of them, would be upwards of $50 per user.  Maybe much more.

Also I'm on a couple of those X-rated sites and they definitely don't background check in the U.S.  Just name, date of birth, here's my credit card if it's paid, and you're in.  I won't say which ones for a variety of reasons, but giving young minds ideas is certainly at the top of that list.

The UK tries to do better here, but this problem isn't solvable without redoing the internet from the ground up in the kinds of ways that would give a government like China full control over every word you posted online.  I'm being 100% literal.  That's what it would take.

The real problem with this community is that it's tolerant of too much, and it's too late to take a lot of it back.  There aren't any adults, things like virus joke programs and piracy are debated as to whether or not it's bad, you can't even flat out say "We shouldn't talk about x because it's illegal" without one faction or another being outraged and then bringing up every other thread that got missed.  I think part of why mods aren't around is that this community has a culture of bashing them every time they make an even slightly unpopular decision.  When a community is able to sort of shift the ethical center around, what's allowed changes and you can't put it back, but no one stopped it at the beginning of the current problems developing.

And there's too few people to change any of this.  Even if we had an age verifier or whatever else, audiogames haven't been important beyond audiogames.net in a long time.  If we had a quality community we'd have quality games.  If we had quality games we'd have a quality community.  But we have neither, and if you knock out over half the people with whatever, then we have nothing.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : AlirezaNosrati via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : soren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : sightlessgamer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : titan_of_war via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : tunmi13 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : stasp via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Rich_Beardsley via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Meatbag via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Simter via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : titan_of_war via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : NevEd via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Simter via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Ty via Audiogames-reflector