Re: Your choice? Would you restore your vision?

@132
The most likely cure for vision, far as I can tell, is neural implants directly into the visual cortex.  It's been done, sort of.  not ready for widespread use yet, but the people behind the Argus II are doing one called the Orion, Darpa is funding some of it, Elon Musk has a company doing that sort of thing as well.  I've watched the field and what's going on right now is that everyone is trying to solve all of the same problems for a bunch of different types of neural implants, most notably rejection and how to manufacture electrode arrays that small and a bunch of other stuff along those lines.  But we've done some cool stuff: paralyzed people controlling limbs for example.  It only works for 6 months or so and you need an entire laboratory of equipment to run it, but the first miracles are always the most expensive, and there's a lot of stuff beyond curing various illnesses in it: military, entertainment, etc.

I'm pretty sure that how this is going to go is that in ~10 years we'll have solved the general problems of the field, in 12-15 years someone is going to report actually good results and try to get into human trials, after that everyone pivots away from trying to cure individual conditions, and in 20-30 we have something through whatever the 2050 equivalent of the FDA is.  Then we pop your head open like the hood of a car, plop it in there, and close it up.