Re: Trying to get on my feet independently

Hmmm, its good that you have the motivation that you would like to be on your own, that is very important.  Now you have to decide where you want to live, how close to your family you want to be, and what type of transportation your area has to offer.  Is your town a small town, does it have sidewalks through out the town, or is it mostly large lawns that take the place of the sidewalks before the street is met with the curbe.  From my personal experience, i lived in the country, so right their you get no sidewalk, and no lawn filled curbes.  Instead you get lawns, and then the roads.  So then i looked at the nearest town, and new that their is sidewalks throughout the town, but not much public transportaion transportation, unless you count a county bus.  Then i looked in to the biggest city near that town and found that it had a public bus system, a smaller bus system that took you door to door, and the same county bus from the outer town went in to the big city.  I myself required a lot of public .transportation, so i chose to go in to the big city.  Then i looked for a place that was afordable to me, and from their i started looking for work while paying for my rent and stuff i needed with SSI and with the assistants of food stamps.  And before anyone jumps down my throat about SSI, let me say this.  Do not be ashaimed of using it,, it is provided for those very reasons.  Also keep in mind if you feel bad about using SSI, don't because you will eventually find your way out if you try.  NOt sure if this will help, and sorry for it sounding super ranty.