Re: Trying to get on my feet independently

@18
As I recall, I got my first card while still on SSI, and managed a $3000 limit (still not sure how I did that, probably because it was through my bank that I'd been a customer of for years).

My brother is still on SSI, and he was definitely doing better than $1300 on one card as well. The primary factor isn't "how much money do I make", it's "Do I have a history of paying off my debt".  In so far as income matters, and it does, it just gets plugged into the pays debt estimator.  If your credit score is high enough, they'll just preapprove you half the time anyway.  It takes time to build it up.  Also, if you're at world-ending disaster and are going to max your cards, there's ways to combine them, especially if they have cash advances.

Plus, to use your laptop example specifically, a high credit score will let you finance your new laptop over 2 years and stuff like that, even though you have low income.  There's auxiliary benefits all over where it opens up the option to not pay much now at the cost of having interest, and if you don't have $2000 but you do have $100/month, you can still get the new computer you need for work, etc.

I flag this now though because it takes time and planning to get these benefits.  It doesn't take anything but time and planning, and if you get a good enough credit card you can link your debit card and then use the credit card instead, which will just do the entire thing for you without much extra thought beyond setting it up.  Free additional options are always good, even if you never use them.