Re: Trying to get on my feet independently

@21
If you give Instacart $99 a year, they give you discounts on delivery for orders over $35.  It used to be free, but last time I did it it wasn't.  Since I'm in Seattle, that's probably our taxes, not a change, but even so, it's a good deal.  You'll end up paying what you would have if you'd gone to the store plus like $5 per trip, once you work it out, and since you'd probably also end up paying for a taxi or something, it's kind of a no-brainer.

Only major downside to grocery delivery is that you can't do small orders, so if it's Wednesday and you've got some giant dinner party and you need Himalayan salt and nothing else will do, sucks to be you.  There's a minor downside in that you can't easily get stuff from specialty stores, if non-American food is your thing, but you can order half of that stuff off Amazon so it's not the end of the world.

Other things you'll want: get Blindsquare if you can.  Get Aira if you can.  You'll not use either on a day-to-day basis, but they come in ridiculously handy in situations where nothing else will do, and Blindsquare in particular is amazing for finding out if the Uber driver did the right thing.  I think those two apps and my feed scanner are the only major blindness-specific tech things I've got, but you'll also have to mark the microwave and stuff and maybe get some braille measuring cups.  If you cook beyond a basic level, there's a lot of things where the right gadget takes it from harder than it needs to be because you're blind to pretty easy, but then most people don't go nearly as far as I do with cooking and in terms of meeting basic needs it's all entirely optional.