Re: Earwax

When you have the freedom to use your biggest spells or skills every round, sure. That's what Entombed boils down to, and by and large, that's what AHC boils down to.
But what about bosses that can paralyze you? Bosses which will actually react to AoE attacks by using attacks you aren't prepared to handle? Bosses which will protect themselves against things, such that if all you do is just mash, you're going to die? If games like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI and IV and X and stuff were so simple, why did people get stuck on certain bosses? I'll give you a hint; it wasn't just because those bosses had good stats. It's because those bosses did particularly creative things and stopped you from just hitting "attack" every round.
The Magus Sisters from FFIV, Magus from Chrono Trigger, Yunaleska or Seymour Flux for normal in-game bosses for Final Fantasy X (really, all the Seymour fights were decent, but this was perhaps the best), Atma Weapon or even Whelk/Presenter from Final Fantasy VI. Bosses have gimmicks. They have weak points. They have big attacks. And there's a great deal of customization in who you bring to a given fight. This is, IMO, its own sort of difficulty. Sure it's ultimately simplistic in its mechanics, but (and I pray you take this in the way I intend) bigger is not always better. There is a reason why certain RPGs sold like hotcakes long, long after such memory limitations were no longer a problem. Sure, the story is there, and I want to use that. Sure, the exploration and lore and world were there, and I want that too. But part of it was the combat. People liked it. It was engaging. It wasn't just random and nonsensical or heartlessly RNG the whole way through (this is Entombed's biggest failing, in fact). I'm 100% okay with this not being your cup of tea, but definitely not so okay with what looks like dismissal of the turn-based genre of RPG. It's been done loads of times, and continues being done to some extent, and it -does work.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Jayde via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Jayde via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ironcross32 via Audiogames-reflector